Tuesday, May 19, 2009

orange chicken

This happened last week, and I am just now able to get to sharing. Wednesday I woke up and for some reason thought that I just had to have orange chicken stir fry for dinner. It just sounded really good to me. A little later that morning on Rachael Ray's show, she was making...you guessed it...orange chicken stir fry. I planned to run to the store and buy the ingredients. As I was getting the kids ready to leave, it occurred to me that I should bring Kurt some extra lunch, because I thought maybe what I had packed wouldn't be enough (he's running these days and I tend to underestimate his appetite). I grabbed some leftovers and the kids and headed out the door.

On the way to the store I had this feeling I needed to go see Kurt first. But then Ellie was getting tired and I was a little tired and thought, "Oh, Kurt will be fine. I don't need to drive all the way to VC for extra lunch." I was about to get off the freeway for the store, when I felt this sense I really needed to go to VC anyway. I knew it was the Lord leading me, so I turned off my blinker.

When I got there, Kurt was happy to see us but said he actually didn't need the food because he still had some other lunch left from the day before. ugh. Waste of time. But then a coworker of his came in and it turned out that she needed a lunch. Oh, OK. Not a wasted trip afterall.

By the time we got out of there Ellie was so tired and cranky I knew I had to skip the store and get her home for a nap. There wouldn't be another opportunity that day for a trip to the store. I was bummed about the orange chicken but there was nothing to be done about it.

Later that day I got a call from a friend who just happened to be going to a grocery store in my neighborhood and wanted to know if I needed anything. (!) I know I didn't *ask* God for the orange chicken, but I suspected that this was His little reward for obeying His leading earlier in the day. Seems like a fair trade--give a meal, get a meal. :)

5 comments:

  1. so cool that you have a friend who will call to see if you needed anything from the store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just accidentally commented as Jenny oops! What *I* meant to say that we help each other out from time to time in that way and it is so nice to have the help. Seems like even getting to the store is so hard these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - sorry to have infiltrated your system!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was so funny. I couldn't figure out why my friend list on facebook was different and why I was posting as "Jenny" and not "Jenn". haha Another casualty of having the most common name in the country for our age group.

    ReplyDelete