Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Alarm clock

This morning I woke up just before 6 and a couple of people who needed prayer came to mind. I started praying for them but soon began falling back to sleep. I fought the sleepiness, determined to keep on in prayer. Kurt's alarm went off, and the song on the radio was Led Zeppelin's All of My Love. Made me laugh cause it seemed like that was what it would take to stay awake and pray. The thought crossed my mind that I should have gotten up and gone to the other room (that is, get away from my pillow) but I told myself I could stay awake. Hmmm.

Just before I was fully asleep, I asked God to help me stay awake. Kurt's alarm went off again. I popped back awake and kept praying. I started to doze...Lord help me stay awake! Then the trashtruck came by and I was wide awake again. Again I started praying, and when I started to doze I asked for help, and this time the firetruck across the street honked its horn. This cycle continued for a long time. Every time I asked for help something would wake me up again: the firetruck again, Kurt saying goodbye for the day, the firetruck again. By 8:30 I managed to finish praying, just moments before I heard my kids awake in their room. I kind of had to laugh about it all. Thanks, Lord, for being such a faithful alarm clock.

2 comments:

  1. This reminds me, and it's funny also. One night, I prayed that God would help me to get up early because I had a lot of work I wanted to get done the next day. I knew that if I just set my alarm clock, I'd turn it off and go back to sleep. So I prayed for God's help.

    But the next day, I woke up about 6 o'clock in the afternoon and was horribly disappointed that I'd slept the WHOLE DAY. So much for all the work I wanted to get done. (It was not unusual for me to sleep well into the afternoon.) I immediately got up because I still wanted to get as much done as i could. I went to the kitchen and prepared myself a sandwich- a sort of light lunch. It was strangely quiet. Where was everyone? Where were the cars, the traffic?

    Then I realized it was 6 o'clock in the MORNING! And I laughed because I knew that if God had just waken me up that early, I'd go back to sleep. But because I thought it was late, I jumped out of bed, eager to make the most of what was left of my day. He didn't just wake me up- He answered my prayer to help me GET UP. And I laughed too because if I had realized it was so early, I would have eaten a breakfast meal, not lunch.

    ReplyDelete