Friday, May 8, 2009

$1000

In our first year of marriage, Kurt and I didn't have much money. He was working in construction and it rained a lot that year so the job sites would close. I really don't know how it worked out every month, but somehow all of our bills got paid and we always had food.

A couple of times I got to see God answer prayer almost miraculously. One of those times was on a Friday. The rent was due Monday and we were short by about $600. There were no paychecks coming. I sat in my apartment freaking out, wondering about the worst. I told God that I knew He said He'd provide, but it was so hard to believe when I couldn't see any way that we were going to get money, especially that much money, before Monday. He answered me What would you do today if you had the money for rent? Um, well...I'd go to the zoo and draw. If you trust Me, then go and draw as if you already had the money. I didn't know if I could do it. I wanted to close the shades and sit and mope. But I decided to take God at His word, so I picked up my sketchbook and shoved my own little backside out the door.

I had a great day drawing, and stopped worrying. When I got home, there was a check for $1000 in our mailbox. A relative had sent it, not knowing we had any need at all.

2 comments:

  1. I remember you mentioning that one time... it's sad to see how we put God in a box simply because we don't believe He can and will provide or because we're afraid of being let down. It's great to have a faith-builder like this to look back upon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its so true--sometimes we're just so afraid of being let down! I think from this experience I learned that fear can be ignored and I can still act in faith.

    ReplyDelete